Back Street & Mount Pleasant
(2003)

This is part of the route linking Church Hill and Harewood Road. The lane to the right leads to Calstock Primary School. In the late 1940s and 1950s, the building on the right housed the surgery of Drs. CHEADLE and MAYNE. The white and cream cottages have been the homes of many families, including well known local inhabitants such as the LOAMs and the OLDs in the late 1800s.

In the late 1940s/early 1950s, Mr & Mrs Alfred Pengelly, who had a lovely cottage garden, lived in the lane leading up to the school. Mr Pengelly wrote a small book, detailing his memories, which has been re-printed and can be obtained from the Calstock Archive Trust (link near top of main page).

 


Mr & Mrs Pengelly on the occasion of their Diamond? Wedding Anniversary c. 1950
 
 


Mrs Pengelly and her sister?, with very young Jim & Myra Barrett sneaking in at the front.

Further down Back Road, with the doctors' surgery approached  (in the 1950s) through the green gate.

 Behind the photographer is the Wesleyan Chapel, Harewood Road.