This Website

People

Churches

Mines

Parish

Railway

River

Schools

Contact

Home
 

Morwellham (Devon)

This colour or a logo indicates more information or an external link.


Morwellham Rocks, centre right.
Morwellham village and Gunnislake are upstream (far left)
Harewood is inside the meander on the left
Calstock is downstream

 

External Sites

Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

Online Census Project

Cornwall Family History Society

Tamar Valley A.O.N.B.

GENUKI
Cornwall / Calstock

Calstock Archive Trust.
 

 

Although on the Devon bank of the Tamar, Morwellham is included here because of its very close ties with both Gunnislake and Calstock.

Pronunciation varies from Mor-well-ham, for local people in the mid-twentieth century, to Mor-well-um, for emmetts or 'fureigners'  ;-)


Part of the Quayside (c.1960), with the Wesleyan-Methodist Chapel (opened 1859) in the background. The Harbour-master's house and the Ship Inn are in the foreground.


Marquis House circa 1904, the 'Mine Captain's House'.
Home of the Phillips family in the late 1800s

Other housing built by the company for key workers and their families included Wheal Josiah Cottages.

Part of the area has been preserved and renovated by the Morwellham and Tamar Valley Trust.

 

 

top
 

 back to Parish index