At various times, ferries operated up and down the Tamar, but the most-used in the 1900s was the direct crossing from Calstock to the Devon bank at Ferry Farm (previously the Passage Inn), Bere Alston.
The Ferry, Calstock
Doug Langsford, the ferryman, whose attention could be attracted from the Devon bank by simply shouting "Boat!". The cost of a journey in 1958 was two old pence.
A lane leading up to Commercial Road (near Mr & Mrs Stacey's grocer's shop) can be seen far left. This went past Foster's ironmonger's shop and the local garage/filling station. Many remains from the mining days were still in existence, including the building in which Mr Langsford repaired various household items whilst waiting for ferry customers.
The landing pontoon (at low tide) and the Memorial Hall are far right.
Calstock Ferry and Viaduct
This shows a
different route down to the ferry, from Lower Kelly, and the boatyard
still in operation on the Devon bank.
Calstock, The Ferry
An earlier view from the Devon bank, probably with some inaccurate 'touching up', similarly the image below.
The Ferry Calstock